Each city is unique in its own way, but there are some facts that are not as well-known as others. In this article, we’re going to discuss some fun facts about the city of Salt Lake City, Utah that you may not have known about!
1. There are twelve local breweries in Salt Lake City, which says a lot considering the population does not consume large amounts of beer. Even though Utah consumes the least amount of beer in the entire country, Salt Lake City has been widely praised for the style and quality of beer they brew.
2. Salt Lake City is where the individual who came up with the first design for the “stop” and “go” traffic light came from. We can thank Lester Wire for the red and green lights that we are used to today.
3. If you’ve seen “The Sandlot”, you may be surprised to learn that this beloved movie was shot in Salt Lake City.
4. Salt Lake City is the headquarters of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, but less than half of the city’s population actually practices this faith.
5. The singer of “Don’t Worry, Be Happy” was inspired to become a singer while living in Salt Lake City.
6. The series that heavily features polygamy, “Big Love”, was not only set in Salt Lake City but filmed there as well.
7. Salty! The Great Salt Lake features over 4 billion tons of salt. And yes, you will float in the lake should you try to brave it.
8. An etching of The Big Dipper constellation can be found on the Mormon Temple’s west center tower.
In conclusion, there are tons of reasons why Salt Lake City is highly unique. Share these fun facts with your friends to show what you know about this great American city.